Updated: Nov 24, 2020
Mood plays a significant role in our quality of life. Our mood can affect our understanding of the world, influence our relationships, and affect both our mental and physical health.
You might be surprised to hear that there are many ways to lift your mood in less than a minute.
Try these and see!
1. Place a few drops of lavender and orange essential oils in a diffuser. Essentials oils have been shown to promote calmness and positivity.
2. Have a snack. Grab a handful of nuts or a square of dark chocolate, which will send endorphins flooding into your brain and will lift your mood quickly.
3. Get some sunshine. Get some fresh air and some sunshine; Studies have shown that people who have significant exposure to light tend to have less depression, fewer sleep issues, and are more productive. If you can't make it outside, look out of a window.
4. Take a walk. Merely walking around the block can lift your heart rate and energy levels.
5. Practice 3-5-7 mindful breathing. Close your eyes and focus on your breath. Breathe in through your nose for 3 seconds, hold, then out through your mouth for 3 seconds, hold, then repeat for 5 seconds and then 7 seconds. Mindful breathing can lower blood pressure and calm the mind.
6. Raise your shoulders up to your ears and then let them drop. Repeat three times and feel the tension melt away. It is easy to hold onto a lot of tension and stress without realizing it.
7. Feeling nervous before a special event such as a meeting or interview? Go into the stairwell or the restroom. Breathing in, open your arms wide, living out, give yourself a big hug. It's nearly impossible to do this without smiling.
8. Smile! Smile! Smile! Make eye contact and smile with a coworker or the person in the coffee shop or the person serving you at the deli counter. The act of using your smile-muscles can genuinely make you feel happy, and it's contagious. Chances are you'll make them smile as well and improve their day.
9. Stand up straight, throw your shoulders back, and lift up your head. Adopt a Superhero pose and feel the shift in your energy.
10. A cup of tea or coffee will instantly lift your mood. Caffeine is a stimulant, but even low or no caffeine hot drinks will give you a boost or calm you down, whether it's chamomile, green tea, a chai latte, or just hot water and lemon.
11. Turn on some music that you love. Choose custom mood music, or play your old favorites. It has has been shown that music tends to have a powerful effect on mood.
12. Ask for a hug. Seek out a family member or friend that would love to give you the instant comfort of an embrace.
Whether you choose to aromatherapy, getting outside, smiling, drinking coffee, or use any of the tips mentioned above, remember that it is possible to feel better and lift your mood quickly.